top of page

Soil Erosion & Erosion Control Permits

Missaukee Conservation District is the permitting and enforcing agency for the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (SESC) program within Missaukee County.

Who needs a permit?

Permits are required for all soil disturbances:

  • located within 500 feet of a body of water (river, stream, creek, lake) OR

  • greater than 1 acre of land, no matter the distance to water.


Permit fees range from $100 to $295 plus a $15 application fee. The permit fee is based upon the project priority and determined by the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Agent. Fees are assessed for an earth change begun without a SESC permit; $50 for first offense and $100 for offenses thereafter. We now accept credit cards for payment of application and fees; there is a 4% credit card assessment charge on payments.

Agricultural activities such as cropping and tilling are exempt. Other farm activities, such as constructing barns, are not exempt and require a permit. Waivers may be granted for projects of smaller size or duration.

Why are permits needed? 


Clean water is important! Sediment is considered the leading pollutant in Michigan’s waterways. Fertilizers, petrochemicals, and other pollutants easily attach to sediment particles and are carried into waterways by erosion. Sediments pollute water bodies, covering fish habitat and spawning beds.

Contractors, builders, excavation and service providers hired by farms to conduct these activities can be held liable for failure to comply with Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control regulations, per Missaukee County Ordinance, and are subject to fine. Service providers – please help us inform your clients of their legal obligation to comply with Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control laws. 


For further information, refer to Missaukee County Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance and EGLE Part 91 Fact Sheet.

Our SESC agent, Sara Huetteman, can be reached at 231.839.7193 or 

bottom of page