top of page

Helpful Guidelines for SESC Permits

Permits are not issued the same day applications are received. A site inspection is required prior to the issuance of permits. Missaukee County has two, part-time inspection agents. Plan ahead and submit your application at least two weeks before you need it. Permits are good for a year and there is no limit to how far in advance you may apply for your permit.


  • Schedule an appointment

    • Though it is not required, making an appointment with a SESC agent either at your site or our office is beneficial for both the agent and the landowner/ contractor. Please call our SESC agent at 231.839.7193 to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions.


  • Download your SESC application

    • Download the  application below, answer all questions, and contact our office if you need assistance.  Submitting incomplete applications will slow your approval process. Landowners or contractors may complete the application. If the contractor or other “designated agent” is signing the application, a letter of consent with the landowner(s) signature is required.​




  • Exemptions

    • If your project is within 500 ft of a lake, river or creek and you will be disturbing  less than 225 sq ft or the project will be completed withing 24 hours may be eligible for a waiver. Download your 225 Waiver below. You must have a waiver complete before start of your earth change or an after-the-fact permit fee may be charged.

  • Construction on a farm

    • Read about exemptions and requirements here. Building sites 1 acre or more require a SESC permit–1 acre=43,560 sq. ft.

  • Permits must be applied for prior to obtaining a building permit

    •  Once the landowner/designated agent has the permit the Building Department will need to be contacted. Bring the permit to the Missaukee Building Department at 104 S Canal Street,  Lake City, MI, 49651. See the following link for more information.


  • Site Inspections

    • Missaukee County Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Agents will perform site inspections after receiving a completed application. Permits are not granted without a prior site inspection.

  • Norwich, Pioneer, Bloomfield, Caldwell and Forest Townships on Creeks feeding into the Manistee River: 

    • The Upper Manistee River is part of the Natural Rivers Act and requires an additional permit through Michigan Natural Rivers Program. There is no fee for the Natural Rivers Act permitting process. More information is available at the link below or by  contacting Brian Bury, Upper Manistee River State Zoning Administrator, at 989.732.3541, ext. 5088, or e-mail

  • Lakeshore and Wetland Activities

    • Activities done at or below the Ordinary High Water Mark may require a EGLE permit. See the High Water Mark Fact Sheet below.

    • Sea wall installation and maintenance, rip-rap, permanent docks and aquatic weed treatment are a few of those activities. See Inland Lake & Stream Protection Information below.

    • Work in wetlands or floodplains also require permits through EGLE. See Wetland Protection Information below.

    • Use of tractors in the lake requires permits from several agencies: it is considered dredging and requires a EGLE permit; violators may also be cited for DNR recreational trespass on bottomlands; and water pollution laws may come into play if the vehicle leaks fluids into the water.

    • See our Lake Shorelines page to learn more about how to preserve natural habitats while still enjoying the lake front.

Request Assistance

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page